Friday, August 08, 2008

Songs In My Life

I considered music or songs a very essential part of my life. Needless to say, some way or the other they touches and influences my mood and the way I carry out my day to day activities. Through the years, songs are my refuge whenever I feel sad, happy, and satisfied. And today, as part of my recollections, I will list down these songs that nearly become attached in my life.

1. Love Will Lead You Back (Taylor Dayne) - This song evokes the emotions you would feel after being separated when all the love you had for that person remains in your heart. Through all the pain and suffering, you feel that love will lead you back again. The song remains the number one on my list as this is the most fitting song that evolves in my life. You love, you hurt, you give everything to please that person but in the end you separated and hurt each others feeling. At the end of the day, somehow, somewhere, love will find it's way.


2. True (Spandau Ballet) - Since my college days, I had been a fan of Spandau Ballet. Their hit song "True" is one of the best songs I considered that came out during the 80s. It's a purely blue-eyed soul music (very relaxing and calming) that I listen from time to time. Timeless classic. And its a beautiful love song.


3. This Used To Be My Playground (Madonna) - I admit that I'm a Madonna fan as I considered her the greatest female pop/rock artist. Most of her songs are controversial, but this is one of my favourite ballad songs she had sang. This song make you think about your life and all the things that have happened to you. It's a song about us. It makes me feel like I'm about to burst into tears when I used to listen with it.



4. Dust In The Wind (Kansas) - This song is about the true value of material things and success. All the material things and success we had in our life is nothing after we die just everyone else. Eventually, as the song narrates, "for all we are is dust in the wind". One of the best Kansas songs and it keeps haunting me wherever I go.




5. Sailing (Christopher Cross) - The song is about the singer's memories of sailing every summer with a friend. Yes, I always remember this song during my summer escapades in Batangas. Going to the beach with my friends sailing in a small banca and enjoying every minute of it without the hassles of city life. Away from the concrete jungle.

6. Overjoyed (Stevie Wonder) - its about someone with dreams of finding their true love and they actually find that love and is pleading for that one you love to have those same "overjoyed" feelings towards you. The song is very inspiring and you feel estatic about finding ones love.




7. Places That Belong To You (Barbra Streisand) - The song is the theme song of the film "The Prince of Tides" starring Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand.

8. Another Day in Paradise (Phil Collins) - This song addresses the problem of ignoring the needy and the homeless. It's a great song that makes people think ... to look back and help the less fortunate. "Oh think twice, its another day for you and me in paradise."




9. Oh Mother (Christina Aguillera) - This is obviously dedicated to my endearing Mother, the wind beneath my wings. The song implies the hardship a mother had gone through an abusive relationship with her husband. Somehow, there is a similar meaning the song has to convey about my dear mother who has endured hard and painful times in raising seven children in our family. Whenever I played this song, tears will always flow in my eyes remembering her love, patience, hardship, kindhearted and devout character.
 
10. Cuts Both Ways (Gloria Estefan) - This is my favourite song of Gloria Estefan. The song is mellow and sweet and it brings back nice memories in your life. I first heard this song when I was in Riyadh way back 1996. Until then, it never fades on my list of songs I listened.

11. Water Runs Dry (Boyz II Men) - This song is about two people who split up and have yet to rectify what broke them up in the first place. The persona is coming upon a moment of realization that if they don't attempt to fix this, then they could regret it terribly. Everyone can relate to this song, the lyrics are beautiful and the vocals are really breathtaking.


12. Somebody (Depeche Mode) - Is a love song in which the lead singer of Depeche Mode Martin Gore sings of his desire to find someone to be his lover and his confidant and who respects his opinions about "the world we live in and life in general," though she may not necessarily agree with them. This song is considered as universal because everyone can relate to this song whatever gender he belongs to. "Somebody" is a song I considered more on religion because this is a song of renewal of faith.
13. Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Tears for Fears) - This is my favorite and ultimate song of Tears for Fears. It is considered the pinnacle of Tears for Fears' chart success. The message of the song is quite serious and it's about everybody wanting power and domination, about war and misery, sufferings it causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment